Friday, June 10, 2022

P-stands for Poetry in the EFL classroom

 It is no secret that most EFL students struggle with grammar, and this is a relevant issue when planning my lessons. In many cases, the problem lies in the student's motivation. Currently,  my B1 learners have been working with adverbs of manner and I came across some exceptional ideas. One of them, I actually put into practice, was having my students write short poems using adverbials of manner. Khansir (2012) suggests that poetry can be used to develop learners’ knowledge of English and to teach structure, grammar, and vocabulary. Moreover, poetry can foster students' motivation to read and write in order to achieve academic proficiency (Antika, 2016). 

The main aim of this approach was to motivate the learners. Hence, I provided them with some tasks in the flipped classroom so they could learn about the use and form of adverbials. Later, during the online session, they completed a fill-in-the-blanks activity with a wonderful and romantic song exclusively composed for the topic of adverbs by an ingenious ESL teacher AlanSmithRobertson๐Ÿ‘. Once the grammar was contextualized, the learners discussed how adverbs are used to add depth and emotion to sentences and writing tasks. At this point, the learners were introduced to the idea of including adverbs in poems ๐Ÿ™Œ. I shared with my students a Padlet where they could find an extraordinary tutorial and some examples of adverb poems - one written by me in honor of the Ukrainian people- ๐Ÿ’—. I invite you to take a look at my students' work and leave your opinion in the comments.๐Ÿ‘‡


Antika, R. (2016). Poetry in EFL Classroom. TELL-US JOURNAL, 2 (2).

Khansir, A.A. (2012). Teaching Poetry in the ELT Classroom. International Review of Social Sciences and Humanities, 3 (1). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

E- that stands for Early Finishers

  Students progress at their own speeds , and that's perfectly fine! But how can we engage a student who completes tasks ahead of schedu...